Last week we celebrated 21 years of Benugo!
Our doors first opened way back in June 1998, at our Clerkenwell shop. This marked the start of the brothers’, Ben & Hugo, Benugo vision becoming a reality.
They wanted Londoners to enjoy eating natural food every day in a simple setting, a unique experience back then. Over the years, Benugo has extended beyond breakfast and lunch in the capital and now our cafes and restaurants can be found on high streets, in museums and performing art spaces, London parks and even castles throughout the UK.
Good food, beautiful spaces and a perfect cup of coffee have always been at the heart of Benugo. From the Benugo original combination sandwiches on the high street, to the innovative menus inspired by ground-breaking exhibitions in our partner museums - Benugo food tastes good and looks good, every time.
We love every part of what we do. Whether it be fuelling businesses in office spaces, perking up commuters with award winning coffee or serving up the best of Scottish produce on the rugged shores of Loch Ness, the Benugo pride and passion can be felt throughout the business.
Over the past two decades, the Benugo family has grown far and wide and we count ourselves very lucky to work in some of the most beautiful spaces with fantastic colleagues. We couldn’t count just how many sandwiches we have made since Clerkenwell first opened for business, but here’s a little insight into what we have been up to during the past twenty-one years…
Benugo in numbers
- 16 HIGH STREET CAFES - the first ever Benugo, our shop on the corner of St John Street near Farringdon has been a favourite since 1998.
- 13 MUSEUMS - the V&A came first in 2005 and we’re proud to be in partnership with some of the most famous cultural institutions in the world.
- 10 PARTNERSHIPS - including Historic Environment Scotland, the Barbican and London Coliseum to name a few.
- 9 PARKS - our first foray into parks began 10 years ago with the Serpentine Bar & Kitchen and we now work in many of the capital’s green spaces.
- 9 RESTAURANTS – the BFI provided us with an opportunity to launch our first restaurant and we now operate three restaurants across two locations at the BFI.
- 2 EVENTS BUSINESSES - Clerkenwell Green and Benugo Events are our events businesses that deliver bespoke events.
- 15,000 CAKES - baked by hand every week in our own bakery, whilst also baking a range of muffins, brownies, tray bakes, loaves and tarts!
- 60,000 NEW YORKERS - the original and our favourite bestselling sandwich for 21 years.
- 11 MILLION COFFEES - our unique Benugo blend can be found in all our cafes and restaurants and we serve 11 million cups a year, enough to fill 1.5 Olympic swimming pools!
Benugo’s 21st birthday party celebrated the hard working team and supportive clients that have made the Benugo vision happen every day. We look forward to seeing what the next 21 years will bring, as we continue to grow the Benugo family.