We have worked with Kids in Museums, a charity dedicated to making museums open and welcoming to all children, young people and families, to launch a new Family Café Standard. This will run exclusively at over 20 Benugo sites over the summer holidays and into autumn 2023.
This new Family Café Standard rates museum cafés on the quality of their online information and promotion, space and facilities, choice of food, affordability, sustainability and staff training. It is a new benchmark that recognises museum cafés that are great for families. Visiting a museum café is a major part of a family’s visit and it is important that the visitor experience maintains the quality of the wider museum.
Benugo will be the only catering company with the new accreditation until February 2024.
Our Director of Partnerships & Marketing, Sophie McCready says: ‘We have worked in close collaboration over the past year to create an accreditation scheme which we hope will become a recognised benchmark throughout the UK.’
@AlisonBowyer, Executive Director of Kids in Museums, said: ‘Congratulations to the first group of visitor attractions to achieve our Family Café Standard. The small but meaningful changes the venues have made will make an important difference to families’ experience of visiting a museum. The launch of our new benchmark has been many months in the making and we hope this is a significant first step in enhancing café provision at museums across the UK. I would like to thank our partners at Benugo for their commitment to our mission to make museums welcoming spaces for all children and families.’
Thanks to everyone who made this possible – and it’s just the beginning!
The full list of Benugo cafés accredited with the Kids in Museums Family Café Standard:
• Ashmolean Café at the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford
• Barbican Kitchen at the Barbican Centre, London
• The Bodleian Café at the Bodleian Library, Oxford
• The Burrell Restaurant at the Burrell Collection, Glasgow
• Redcoat Café at Edinburgh Castle
• The Pavilion Café at Greenwich Park, London
• Canteen at the London Transport Museum
• Terrace Restaurant at London Zoo
• The Café at the Science and Industry Museum, Manchester
• T. rex Restaurant at the Natural History Museum, London
• Regent’s Bar & Kitchen at Regent’s Park, London
• Parkside Café & Terrace at Royal Museums Greenwich, London
• Energy Café at the Science Museum, London
• Serpentine Bar & Kitchen at Hyde Park, London
• Unicorn Café at Stirling Castle
• St James’s Café at St James Park, London
• The Savill Garden Kitchen at Windsor Great Park
• Lochview Café at Urquhart Castle, Inverness
• Town Square Café, at Young V&A, London